Saturday, July 9, 2011

Time Saver Recipes - Iced Tea

I've scouted the internet high and low for the perfect iced tea recipe and I found that there are about as many ways to make it as there are those that drink it.

After reading all those recipes, I decided I would just do it my own way and it works pretty well. I am the only person who drinks iced tea at our house, so I didn't want a big batch - after all, who likes day-old iced tea, right?


This is how I do it...

UNSWEETENED TEA

Fill a quart jar with cool tap water
Add one FAMILY SIZE tea bag (tag removed)
Cover the jar
Put in the fridge and walk away

Come back in about 2-4 hours, remove tea bag
Add about 1/8 t. of baking soda - yes, I said baking soda
I add 1 packet of splenda to sweeten just a little



SWEET TEA

Fill a quart jar 3/4 full with cool tap water
Add one FAMILY SIZE tea bag (tag removed)
Cover the jar
Put in the fridge and walk away

In a separate container, add 1 c. hot tap water and 1/4 to 1/3 c. of sugar - stir until dissolved, let sit to cool while the tea is "brewing".

Come back in about 2-4 hours, remove tea bag
Add about 1/8 t. of baking soda - yes, I said baking soda
Add the sugar mixture and stir.

I've been told that the baking soda takes the bitterness out of the tea and also helps keep it clear. All I know is the tea is good and you can't taste the soda at all.


Serve tea over ice, garnish with lemon or mint. - ENJOY!

Thanks for joining us!
Deena Davis
www.byyourhands.blogspot.com

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the recipe! Did you add some fruit, because I see some apples may be?...in the jar...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love iced tea also...but have even an easier way...put the tea bags in the jar and put it out in the sun..(covering the top).no bitterness at all, ever....and you can make a larger jar as it keeps well...I'm the only one in our household too and a big jar lasts about a week here...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've been drinking unsweetened iced tea since i was little. interesting tidbit about the baking soda...i'll have to try that!

    ReplyDelete