We have a guest blogger today, Florine Church from collegecrunch.org
Listen up, lads and lassies! St. Patrick's Day is around the corner, and if you want to celebrate the holiday the right way, you'll need to dress up and act the part of a true Irishman or lady. That means wearing green regalia, drinking green beer and speaking with a wee Irish accent all while attending a St. Patty's Day parade and doing an Irish jig at the pub. If you're up for the challenge, here are 10 ways to be a total cliché on St. Patrick's Day:
1. Wear Green: Wearing green is the standard dress for St. Patrick's Day in America, even if the color is considered unlucky in Ireland. To truly embrace your inner Leprechaun, go for a completely green getup and top it off with a shamrock headband or green, sparkly top hat.
2. Pinch Anyone Who's Not Wearing Green: To truly be cliché on St. Patty's Day, you should pinch anyone and everyone who's not wearing green. Who cares if they're complete strangers or two feet taller than you – pinch away!
3. Drink Green Beer: Drinking green beer is mandatory for a cliché St. Patty's Day. Why would you settle for an Irish stout like Guinness when you can have a festively dyed Miller Lite instead? If you're throwing a St. Patty's Day party, don't rob your friends of this tradition, serve homemade green beer.
4. Wear a "Kiss Me, I'm Irish" Pin: You can find these cliché pins at just about any store around St. Patty's. But just because your pin says "Kiss me, I'm Irish" doesn't mean you'll get that lucky.
5. Eat Corned Beef and Cabbage: It doesn't get much more Irish (or cliché) than having corned beef and cabbage on St. Patrick's Day. You can order the dish at your favorite Irish pub, or better yet, make it at home.
6. Attend a St. Patrick's Day Parade: It doesn't matter if the St. Patty's Day parade is in Chicago, Tallahassee or Butte, Montana – you have to be there! And while you're attending the parade, you might as well try to march in the parade or sneak on to one of the floats, because that's never been done before.
7. Say "Top o' the Mornin' to Ya!": Get your St. Patty's Day off to a roaring start with an Irish coffee and saying the cliché line "Top o' the Mornin' to Ya" to anyone and everyone you encounter. To master this old saying and others, you'll need to practice your Irish accent again and again.
8. Pretend You're a Leprechaun: If you're already dressed like a leprechaun, why not act like one too? You can talk about your hidden pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, making shoes for a living and how "they're always after me Lucky Charms!"
9. Do an Irish Jig: Once you've slammed a couple of Irish Car Bombs and Jameson shots, you might be tempted to break out an Irish jig to impress your muckers. Just watch where you leap and high kick because no St. Patty's Day should be spent in the hospital.
10. Look for a Four-Leaf Clover: St. Patty's Day wouldn't be complete and cliché enough if you didn't search for a special four-leaf clover to bring you good luck. Get your friends together to search lawns and pastures for four-leaf clovers. Of course, you'll have the most luck looking during the day.
Thanks for sharing you article today with us Florine.
Happy St. Patrick's Day
Bette and Deena