Thursday, August 12, 2010

Today's Featured Artist - Homespun From The Heart

Today's featured artist is Cindy Marcovcy of Homespun From The Heart.


Tell us a little about you?

I am married to my best friend and a stay at home mom to 2 babies. I have been at home working on my first baby, Homespun from the Heart, for a couple years and then my daughter came along.


How long have you been in business?
 
 Homespun from the Heart opened more than 6 years ago online, but I have been sewing and selling my creations for years before that. I just opened another business, www.SaveOurHooters.com in partnership with a friend, focusing on breast cancer awareness items; we were just featured in Create and Decorate’s “Finds” column for the October issue, very exciting!



 How did you get started?
 
     I started sewing for my girl scouts sewing badge, many years ago; in college, I was visiting my dad and stepmom for Thanksgiving and my stepmom was making a quilt. I started asking her questions about sewing and the next thing I know I got my first sewing machine for Christmas. I taught myself how to do various craft things, like Christmas tree skirts, table runners, sewing hems for curtains, etc. And shortly after I was married 8 years ago, I discovered the world of primitives and just fell in love! This year, my stepmom and I will be doing our first craft show together in upstate NY – we still talk ‘crafts’ and primitives/sewing every time we are together.


What is involved in making your craft?

   When I am designing a new doll/pattern, a lot of time goes into the process. I create templates first, those are later the pattern pieces used to make the pattern, but there’s usually a couple of rounds of changing things with the head shape, etc. Then, I am always tea staining something it feels like! And the time to create each face and hair style is just part of the process; sometimes I can get to the very end – say a hair style – and not like the doll then start over! I also take my time writing instructions; after the pattern is finished then I spend quite a bit of time marketing it.
    When I am creating dolls to build inventory, it’s a similar process with less pressure – sometimes I can finish up to 20 dolls in a week.

What is your favorite thing to make?

Definitely dolls! I have been refining my style of dolls for the last few years; I feel they are more unique to me – I tend to use funky colors for hair and noses; I also go with different types of fabrics not just primitive. Someone called my style “shabby prim” once and I thought that fit - lighter colors but still tea stained. My line of Cupcake Dolls, with really funky hair colors/styles, cupcakes, and scents - have been really well received. If the customers like it, then I am happy since I like it too.


Do you have set hours to work?

I have to set hours to work since I am also at home with my 2 year old. I usually am up by 5:30 and work until she wakes up at 8am; then I go back to work during naptime and again after she goes to bed. When I am in ‘crunch time’ like leading up to my big craft show in Lititz, PA I will often sew while she plays, taking lots of breaks to have tea or hold her dolly, etc. I try to keep us involved in activities offline, like our local Mom’s club and the YMCA. I really want to enjoy these years with her as they are already flying by!

What are your future plans for your business?

I was published in Create and Decorate a couple of times; I loved seeing my work in print and would like to do more of that. After my daughter starts school, I will return to doing more shows and also open up a wholesale section for my finished dolls online. I have been limited in time right now.


What does handcrafting mean to you?

It means taking my time with every single doll I create – 1 or 20 in a week; some weeks I have a groove and can do 20 each one having her own style and personality. Some weeks I can only finish one; and that’s OK with me. Being creative doesn’t have a set schedule, even though I have to work a set schedule. I try to go with my energy level and when I am in a slump I will try something new or do something a little more mundane like tea staining some fabric, or cleaning my sewing room. The main thing is that every customer who buys from me (online or at a show) knows that I hand-stitched the face, I created this doll from a piece of fabric and she has her own personality now.


Where do you sell your crafts at?

Online, my main website is where I sell my finished work and patterns, kits, and doll hair www.homespunfromtheheart.com.   Right now I don’t have much finished work listed as I am getting ready to go to Lititz; I will be listing a LOT of new Halloween and fall items after August 18th.

I also sell online at www.saveourhooteres.com and I have an Etsy shop http://www.etsy.com/shop/CupcakeDolls.

Offline, I just started selling in both retail and wholesale at In Grandma’s Attic, in Kinzer’s PA. The wholesale shop is for made in the U.S.A. only crafters.

I also do a few craft shows every year, the main one is Sat. August 14th in Lititz, PA http://www.lititzrotary.com/craft.htm   I have a new location this year, near Wilbur’s Chocolates – so if anyone happens to come, make sure you stop by to say Hi! I am really looking forward to the show!

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this interview...I was wondering if the hair on the doll is on the back of the head or just on top..When I made Raggedy Ann's I sewed each strand of hair by hand from front tot the bottom of the neck but it looks like these aren't that way. Just curious.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dolls are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, what a busy gal. She looks like a doll herself:) I love how she has incorporated her dollmaking into a worthy cause for breast cancer. Bless her heart!

    ReplyDelete